Roadworthy vehicle checks
23 April 2020
Check your vehicle is safe to drive
You’re responsible for making sure your vehicle is always roadworthy and safe to drive. It can be unsafe even if you have a current MOT certificate.
You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition. So every time you drive you should be sure that your care is safe and roadworthy.
What you should check
- Windscreen, windows and mirrors are clean
- All lights work
- Brakes work
- Engine oil level
- Water level in the radiator or expansion tank
- Brake fluid level
- Battery is working
- Windscreen and rear window washer fluid levels
- Windscreen wipers are working correctly
- Tyres tread depth and condition. See our tyre safety guide for more details